Thursday, September 8, 2011

An Apple a Day...

Good evening blogging world! You'd think with no followers or traffic, I'd stop writing these silly posts...but it's so much fun! HA! This is my "adult" time. I LOVE being a Mommy, but I went to school to be a teacher and I truly enjoy that part of my life as well. Actually, I only have one more week on maternity leave and then it's back to the grind. I am actually looking forward to my return. I've been in every weekend and even during the week to get things ready so I figure...why not actually be there?! Oh well! I have enjoyed my time at home with my kiddos very much.

Anywho...I've been trying to look ahead and get some things around for when I will be the teacher again! The first two weeks I'm back, we're doing our apple unit. I'm SO excited that I haven't missed this part of the school year. One of the things we tried new last year was the apple/germ experiment. You probably do this activity...I found it online somewhere.

Here's a recap for this yucky experiment. Cut an apple in half. Then, take one half and let each of your students touch it with their hands. After students finish touching the first half of the apple, have every student wash their hands with warm water and soap. Pass the second half of the apple around and have students touch it with their clean hands. Put each apple half in a Ziploc bag. You should label each bag...we used "Clean :)" and "Dirty :(" **After a few days in the experiment, labels won't be necessary though!** It is actually really gross to see what the contaminated apple looks like at the end. It really makes the students think twice about washing their hands thoroughly!

Last year, I created a science journal to accompany this experiment. I remember I did it the day of our experiment so it wasn't anything great. Tonight, I revamped it with a new font and a cute border. Click here to check it out (and download it if you're out there!). My husband is taking me out for my birthday (27 on Monday!) this weekend...so who knows when I'll be back. (maybe tomorrow!?) Have a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm your first follower on your sweet site! I hope you keep blogging! Have a lovely week!

    Chatterbox Blessings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete